First, let's go over a quick primer on mold. Every kind of mold is a fungus, just like mushrooms and athlete's foot, for example. The mold that is toxic to humans is relatively uncommon in the fungi kingdom, meaning most kinds aren't dangerous. However, some molds are dangerous, so any mold you find indoors must be cleaned up and completely removed.
Government experts recommend that you contact a black mold remediation Swedesboro NJ company for help if the mold growth takes up more than 9 square feet. When you see any sizable mold growth, however, it's smart to reach out for help from professional mold damage cleanup. The best mold removal services can help you make sure there is no mold spots in other spots around the structure using tools such as measurement devices and laboratory kits and more.
Before you contact mold cleanup specialists, the first step is to stop the mold from growing. Do this by turning off any ventilation. Then, work to stop the moisture source that brought the mold in the first place. For instance, make sure damaged roofs are no longer flowing into your attic and staunch the flow of any moisture that has penetrated your basement. Then, stop it from spreading. You could block off the area in question with disposable tarps, for instance.
Next, you're ready to decide whether to get professional help. Consider not only the mold area, but also any aggravating health issues you may have. Allergy or asthma sufferers who have trouble breathing, for instance, should avoid mold cleanup activities.
Once you've made the decision, there are important steps to take in either direction. If you're going at it alone, start with gathering the right safety gear and cleaning supplies. You'll need airtight goggles, clothing items that are easy to wash and that cover your arms and legs, and mold-safe masks and gloves. You should also get dedicated sponges and disposable plastic sheeting that can help trap the mold you get off. Experts agree that you should avoid leaving drywall that has mold on it anywhere you find it because it can't be cleaned thoroughly. A note on cleaning with bleach: Skip it. Any bleach is less effective than other detergents and often doesn't remediate mold thoroughly and all its spores completely. Bleach-based cleaners also puts off toxic fumes, particularly if it's ever mixed with ammonia, a common ingredient in many household cleaners . Ask for better alternatives at the hardware store.
If you're worried enough about mold problems to look for solutions on the web, you will want a professional mold removal company. Don't hire a company focused on humid areas.
Check licensing and certifications before you hire a mold damage cleanup service. The State Office of Consumer Protection is a good place to begin, and you can check for affiliations such as as the Contractor Connection, Restoration Industry Association and the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration. You might also make sure the company knows and follows federal mold cleanup recommendations whether your mold is in a business or a residence.
Mold left to grow releases spores, which act like seeds and can cause damage to spread very quickly. If not, mold damage will continue to feast on your home or business and can ruin your possessions. Some types of mold, those that release toxic spores, can also cause sever health risks ranging from neurological damage to breathing problems and mold-related illnesses and ongoing ill health. Mold in the environment can be particularly dangerous for infants, children, and anyone with a compromised immune system .
The ideal way to mitigate your mold growth is to get professional mold damage cleanup assistance. Don't delay.