First, let's go over a quick primer on what mold is. All molds are fungi, just like mushrooms and lichens, for example. The mold that is toxic to people is relatively uncommon in the fungi world, meaning most kinds aren't harmful. However, some toxic molds are dangerous, so any mold in your home or business must be cleaned up and completely removed.
Government experts recommend that you reach out to a mold remediation services Hopkins MN company for assistance if the smelly mold takes up more than 3 square feet. When you see any big amount of mold growth, however, it's wise to reach out for cleanup assistance from professional mold removal services. The best mold removal services can help you test for mold spots in other spots around the house using tools such as hygrometers, thermometers, laboratory-grade mold test procedures and more.
Before you contact mold cleanup specialists, the first step is to stop the mold from growing. Do this by turning off any HVAC systems. Next, work to stop the dripping or condensation that brought the mold. For example, clear standing water and fix plumbing problems if you can. The next step is to contain the mold in as small an area as possible. You might tape off the room with disposable tarps, for example.
Should you get a professional service to help or can you complete it by yourself? Beyond pondering the size of the problem, think about any exacerbating health issues that make you prone to risk.
Once you've selected a solution, there are important things to do in either direction. If you're doing the work, start with gathering proper safety gear and cleaning supplies. You'll need non-ventilated goggles, clothes that are easy to launder and that cover your arms and legs, and mold-safe masks and gloves. You should also get dedicated sponges and a disposable tarp or two that will help trap the mold you get off. Experts agree that you should avoid leaving drywall that has mold on it anywhere because it can't be cleaned thoroughly. Whatever you do, don't clean with bleach, especially if you're dealing with a substantial mold repair situation. It's mostly unsuccessful for soft surfaces, afterall, and only partially effective on hard surfaces. It's also potentially toxic because it can release fumes and should not be mixed with ammonia-based cleaners such as window cleaner.
Chances are that if you're concerned enough about mold problems to do online research, you will want a professional mold removal company. Don't hire a company focused in humid climates.
Check licensing and certifications before you hire a mold damage cleanup service.
You need to mitigate any mold growth you come across to prevent further toxicity risk, and do it right away. If not, mold growths will keep eating on your home or business and will ruin your possessions.
The ideal way to clean up your mold damage is to get professional mold removal assistance. Don't delay.